How to convert .avi to iPod compliant mp4 video?
There are many apps out there that can convert .avi video to mp4 video for playback on iPod. My favorite is the excellent freeware, MPEG Streamclip.
MPEG Streamclip was originally developed for Mac OS X, and has been ported to the Windows platform. The instructions here is based on the Mac OS X version.
- Launch MPEG Streamclip.
- Drag and drop the .avi file into its window.
- Select “Export to MPEG-4…” from the File menu.
- Click on the “iTunes…” button.
- Select your iPod device from the list, and click on OK.
Choose iPhone for iPod touch.
- Now click on the “Make MPEG-4” button to start the conversion.
Please leave all the settings alone unless you know what you are doing.
You can convert a batch of .avi files by selecting “Batch List” from the “List” menu.
Explore around the app; you can also use it to convert DVD Video Disc, VideoCD, and in fact, any video file that QuickTime can playback. I’m not sure about the Windows version but MPEG Streamclip for Mac OS X cannot handle Real Video, but you can use ffmpegX to do it (instructions.)