How to use VLC Player to convert .wmv to .mp4?
Actually, not just .wmv but any video files that the VLC Player can play it can convert to .mp4! The list includes popular video format such as VCD’s .dat/.mpg, DVD Video’s .vob, etc. The process is technically call Transcoding, and it’s simple, fast and best of all, free-of-charge.
- Launch VLC Player and select the “Streaming/Exporting Wizard…” from its File menu.
- Select the “Transcode/Save to file” option.
- Click the “Choose…” button and select your .wmv file.
- Tick “Transcode video” and select the “H.264” codec and 1024 kb/s.
- Tick “Transcode audio” and select the “MPEG 4 Audio” codec and 192 kb/s.
- Select “MPEG 4/ MP4” as the Encapsulation format.
- Click the “Choose…” button and Save As “NewFileName.mp4” to your Desktop.
- Click “Finish” to begin transcoding.
In Step 7, tick the “Local playback” option if you want to watch and transcode your .wmv in real-time. Needless to say, do not tick it for speedier transcoding.
You can further use MPEG Streamclip to process the .mp4 to an iPod compliant copy.